Friday, January 04, 2008

Writer's Block New Year Blues

I have decided to sit down and write, although I know not what about. Its a New Year and I should be approaching it in a positive manner and to admit that I am suffering from "Writer's Block" would be a rather negative admission, so here we go - onwards and who the hell knows where? Talking of Hell, the world didn't get off to such a brilliant start did it? - what with the assassination of Benazir Bhutto and now all the trouble in Kenya. The sight of machete wielding savages on the streets does nothing for my faith in human nature, nor my non-existent desire to visit Africa. Also, we had better watch out in Pakistan. If an Al Qaida supporting Islamist government comes to power - with nuclear weapons - then we are heading for a holocaust. Happy New Year.


I was very disappointed with the Christmas TV offerings this year. I thought they were absolute pants. To escape the fast encroaching plunge into the abyss of catatonic cerebral neurosis, I went to the cinema to see "The Golden Compass". I thought the film was brilliant, very entertaining and visually stunning. I am told the book is a lot darker and that the story has been lightened up to make it more child friendly. Being one who likes dark literature, I've bought a copy of the book which I shall be reading just as soon as I've finished reading Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons." Talking of demons, why do the TV channels only seem to put on films I want to watch late at night when I'm either too tired to watch them or cannot stay up because I've got to get up and go to work the next morning. I could record the film (of course), but I don't bother because my life is so full of other things (like going to the cinema) that I just know I will never get around to watching it. The film, in case you were wondering and are still actually reading this, was "Exorcist - The Beginning". This was a prequel to the 1970's film "The Exorcist" which at the time was blamed for people committing suicide having seen it. Priests and others who should have known better campaigned and demonstrated against the film. This, of course, only had the effect of ensuring that far more people went to see it than might otherwise have done. I really loved the film, the more Satanic and scary the better as far as I'm concerned and I loved the projectile sick scene - wonderful! I have a copy of the film which I watch from time to time when I'm feeling low and want to cheer myself up.


Sticking to the subject of scary films, I also went over the Christmas period to see Will Smith in "I am Legend". I have nothing but superlatives for this film as well as the faultless acting of Will Smith. The sets and special effects in this film are astonishingly convincing, and the story line ain't half bad either. If you like to be shocked out of your seat, go and see this film.


Well, that's it then. I hope all my readers out there had a happy Christmas and I wish you all the very best for the New year. Watch this space.............

No comments: