Sunday, February 25, 2007

Expressing myself

A few years ago, after losing the will to live trying to run an "Amway" business (just friends helping friends - remember that one??), I gave it all up and decided to become an author instead - like you do!! I then parted with around £200 for a correspondence course which absolutely guaranteed you success - provided you completed every part of the course. This was all well and good until I realized there were parts of the course I had absolutely no interest in whatsoever. I wanted to write novels - not all this other stuff. Anyway, I did the first exercise (my observations in the local "Cromwell" museum), sent it off and got an extremely good response from my tutor. That, however, was as far as I got. I just couldn't find any enthusiasm for exercise 2, 3, 4,........ for knowing that I would HAVE to do some stuff which would launch me into the realms of sticking pencils up my nose, wearing my underpants on my head and saying "wibble". My course pack made a good door stopper. Eventually, I sold it on at a car boot sale to an enthusiastic young woman who has probably now won the Booker prize. Anyway, what am I trying to say? It is simply this: writing this blog allows me to be a published writer, writing about what I want to write about as my whim takes me. And another thing - writing this blog gives me a reason to write. You see, I love writing for its own sake (so long as its not too dull), and if there is one person out there who enjoys my writing, then it has to be worth it.

No comments: