Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Who??.....

Has it ever happened to you that someone comes up to you on the street and they start chatting to you, calling you by your name like they've known you all their lives? The only trouble is you can't remember them from Adam, - but rather than blurt out "who the hell are you???" - you continue the conversation as best you can, pretending you know them like they know you. You hope against hope they don't start cornering you into a conversational area which will reveal your ignorance of them. This seems to happen to me a lot. It may be that I really ought to know who this person is, but old age and creeping senility are conspiring against me. I then spend the next few hours banging my head against the wall trying to remember! I speak figuratively of course! If I really did keep banging my head against the wall, I would either be locked up or dead. Either way, I wouldn't be sat here now writing this. I went to the gym this evening and was immediately confronted by a bloke I did know, but just couldn't remember his first name! Then, on leaving the gym for the changing room, a woman came up to me and said "Steve - fancy meeting you here!" She looked vaguely familiar, and I felt I should have known her - but just couldn't quite place her. Anyway, I stumbled on awkwardly with the conversation, racking my poor brain cell to no avail. Later it occured to me that she might work close to me - probably in the same building. Investigations tomorrow will reveal whether or not I am right. Is this some degenerative thing I suffer from?? Why do so many people seem to know me, but I don't know them? Maybe its all part of some cosmic plot to drive me mad. Oh well, not to worry - tomorrow is another day. Or at least it might be if I can even recognise myself in the mirror!

No comments: